Friday, January 23, 2009

All-Stars

After winning our last Turkish league game of the first half of Turkish League the All-Star game was played in a city in Northern Turkey. It is Turkish all-stars vs. Americans or Foreigners. Last year I played on the Foreigner team, but after getting my passport this summer I was on the Turkish side. We hung in with the all powerful mighty Americans for most of the game but lost it by a few points in the end. It was mostly a game for entertainment so we hope we gave the fans something to be excited about. The city did a good job of putting together the other entertainment. We had a famous Turkish singer for the half time show. I felt out of place when all of my Turkish teammates joined in singing and I had no clue what she was saying.

After the short time to relax and have a fun game we were back to Turkish league and won our next two games. The last one was against my former team at my old gym. it was good to see some familiar faces on and off the court. We are starting playoffs for Euroleague this Tuesday. We will face a great team from Poland. It is a best of 3 series with the first game at home, the second game in Poland and if necessary the third game back in Istanbul.

On another note we got a new player after the break. Our team terminated the contract with our French player and added Katie Smith. She is a veteran in the WNBA, olympic gold medalist, WNBA champion and MVP. Needless to say we think we got a pretty good player. I am excited to play with her the rest of the season.

No comments: