Monday, December 3, 2007

Back from the Holy Land

We've had a couple of games since the last post and unfortunately we lost them both. We played some very good teams and played pretty well but didn't come out on top. First we went to Tel Aviv, Israel. And I had a pleasant surprise! Seb's team, who is also in Euro Cup and was playing an Israeli team, was on our flights to and from Tel Aviv and we also stayed in the same hotel. As always it was great to talk and spend time with her. We weren't able to see the city apart from our bus ride to the airport, but our hotel was located right on a beach so the team and I walked along it. There were some shops nearby, too and one sports store had all University of Washington gear in their front window. Brett was excited to hear that and I took a picture of it for him. I'll post all of those soon. The game wasn't as sweet. We actually played well in the first half as we were up by 12, but they came out on fire in the second half. They are the top team in our pool, so a tough team to beat.

We turned right around and played the top team in the Turkish league yesterday. For those of you who really know women's basketball, this team had Cappie Pondexter and Tammy Sutton-Brown. They also had another Turkish player post who was just as good as Brown. We didn't play badly, we were just out manned. We were actually down 12 at halftime and only lost the game by 11 so we won the second half. We have to look at the positives in a game like that. And for the first time I hit an almost half court buzzer beater! I knew all of those half court shots we shoot for fun would eventually pay off!

After returning from Israel I found that my first package from my parents arrived. Even though I knew most of what was inside it still felt like Christmas. Thanks Mom and Dad! The pistachios are almost gone already. Speaking of Christmas, it looks like I won't be able to come back to the states. The Turkish league plays right through the holidays this year so unfortunately I won't get that break. I hope to talk to family, especially in South Bend this year through the internet and skype.

Well, we are back in action Thursday with Euro Cup to play the Montenegro team that beat us by a few points earlier. It's a really important game for us to win if we want to still be in Euro Cup play after Christmas.

No comments: